[HacktionLab] ogg camp - simplicity & self

enjoyeverymoment at riseup.net enjoyeverymoment at riseup.net
Mon Jun 20 15:46:00 UTC 2011

Similar thinking aloud...
I really liked all the guys and girls there...

Guess this is in general from Zoe's...
>From whatever background people come from I believe simplicity is the one
that unites and makes things more accessible and fun. Rather than trying
to make things better, thinking it is already and then doing less of the
harmful stuff (which possibly is almost every new technology) I think is
the way to go.

Transferring to a method which needs these things less or 'down-grading'
is another matter personal to your own self but consider it for the
benefit of everyone else and eventually yourself if it seems to hard at
first.

Not to go to a caveman status exactly but closer to that than where we are
today which is trying to get more from what we can barely do, understand
or sustain already; whether that's managing ourselves or our resources &
power consumption.
If anyone else wants more chat and even 'banter' :) feel free

p.s
I do like some of the stuff sent previously via emails even if I'm
passionate about self-development and self-understanding before tinkering
with others systems or expecting to understand ourselves around others!

> On 17/06/2011 00:30, penguin wrote:
>> On a slightly more serious note, I'm finding currently finding it
>> interesting to think that most conversations I've had within HactionLab
>> have been around how to get 'political activists' to be a bit more tech
>> savy, but am now wondering if there's as important a role to get 'tech
>> activists' a bit more political savy.
>>
>> Just thinking allowed.
> agree.. still haven't made it to barn camp mainly because, as a non
> tech, I got tired of encountering this kind of bias.. the only way,
> imho, for righteous techs to help activists be more tech savvy is to
> take the very 'political' step of seeing how the world looks from a non
> techy activist mindset.. and then to take the several more difficult
> steps required to cater to the needs of people who do not feel or think
> the same way as techs do...which i know is not easy or particularly fun
> all the time but is necessary, really really necessary, recruiting help
> where needed, compromising where possible, and making it EASY and FUN
> for busy people with different skill sets and expertise from techies to
> use better tech tools than the easy corporate ones.
> imho, the thinking should be in terms of opening up culture and access -
> similar to that needed when considering how to ensure disabled access,
> LGBT awareness, catering for vegans etc etc etc.
> Cheers all
> Zoe
>
> --
> tel + 44 (0) 7931 316 970

---------------------------------
(automatic email signature below)
---------------------------------

from March 30 2011:
I am being active in minimising emailing people, specifically those who
use a providers that are revenue based (i.e. email providers that get
money from our usage in a million ways). We serve these revenue streams
that ultimately, one way or other down the chain, help things I want less
of in the world.
This isn't personal to you. The pressures and affects money has is what I
aim to stop. You might not see it but lots of people, directly or
indirectly calculate a lot more than you read. Something free from a
'business' (The activity of providing goods and services involving
financial and commercial and industrial aspects) will always cost you in
some other way.
It's my belief that reducing money and personally not giving the game of
good life away to other in this way will help me feel better and be
better. I also believe in the long term everyone benefits though I
definitely am doing it for myself first (as I believe everyone should).

We did live without Internet once right?