[HacktionLab] Fwd: Re: Application for Green Enterprise Market Area - HacktionLab

llanos gorditazz at aktivix.org
Tue Jun 21 10:01:59 UTC 2011

Lesley's GG answer below:

Quoting "green tech" <greentech at greengathering2011.com>:

> Hi Llanos,
>
> Thanks for getting in touch. This is interesting and there may be a
> role for your organisation in Greentech, which is part of Green
> Enterprise, but more focusing on display / demonstration / education.
>
> Some free tickets might be possible, but at present they are very
> carefuly counted and I only have a few available for department crew.
> However, there is hope. I have to let you know though that I am also
> negotiating for another organisation to do something similar, but I do
> value what you are both doing.
>
> What I have in mind for Greentech is that it is a public interface
> powered by green technology i.e. somewhere that people can turn up and
> be impressed by being able to... e.g. get online, network, find out
> about climate change first hand without flying anywhere, and a few
> workshops that will help them learn how to do it. Does that make sense
> and is it anything like what you provide?
>
> Let me get a few details clear:
>
> What equipment would you be bringing?
> What equipment would be available for public use?
> What hours, roughly, would you be open to let the public use facilities?
> Which workshops would you choose to run and at what times roughly?
> Would you be selling anything?
> Do you have your own structure and what is it (size and type)?
>
> Yes, we have internet connection onsite and power. If you let me know
> what you need I will go and ask the more technically minded people
> what is possible!
>
> I can't promise anything at the moment, and if I do get some tickets
> it might be a lot less than you ideally want. Would you be open to a
> compromise option if I could only get a few? Also, I might not be abe
> to get tickets for both organisation, though I would be happy with
> two! It would be good to see if we can get anywhere though.
>
> I'm off to Glastonbury now, but we can discuss further when I'm back
> (unless I get online there).
>
> Thanks again for getting in touch and all best,
>
> Lesley Fleming
> 07551373087
> Green Enterprise and Technology
> Green Gathing 2011

Hi

After reading it there's few question we should be clear about before
answering. I'll probably call him next week when he's back from Glasto
to speed things up!

- How many would be the minimum number of people we could do it with?
- Would we compromise and go even if we get less tickets than what we
think it would be the minimum?
- If we compromise, how? By opening less hours? By offering less workshops?
- How many of us would be interested in doing it? (Please reply if you are)
- What workshops could we offer that kind of match the spirit of the GG?

Maybe it'd be good to find out who the other organization is, get in
touch and instead of competing try to complement??

Replying to his questions. I have more or less the answers to his
questions but comments welcome:

> What equipment would you be bringing?
We would bring the equipment needed to have 10/15 low power laptops
(running linux) connected to the internet during 6 to 8 hours a day.
Including the solar panels which will power them. We would also bring
any equipment needed to deliver the workshops, low power (12volts)
projector (?) and any other specific hardware.

> What equipment would be available for public use?
Low power laptops with internet access would be for public use.
(Can we offer anything else?)

> What hours, roughly, would you be open to let the public use facilities?
That would depend on how many of us there's on site. We wouldn't be
able to open many hours if we are less than XX (the minimum number of
people agreed
by us)

> Which workshops would you choose to run and at what times roughly?
- Sy's talk on the environmental cost of IT?
- LED's lighting?
(suggestions please)

> Would you be selling anything?
No. However we would be charging a very low fee for internet use.
That's to cover the expense of the expensive equipment and to avoid
people's abuse.

> Do you have your own structure and what is it (size and type)?
J, can you provide us with the size and type of tent? And an update on
the state of it would be good too.

Good they have internet connection and power. Although at this point I
don't see it very clear.

cheers
Llanos