[HacktionLab] ogg camp

Ben Green ben at bristolwireless.net
Tue Jun 21 16:32:23 UTC 2011

Quoting Sy <sytaffel at riseup.net>:

> On 21/06/11 10:34, hacktionlab-request at lists.aktivix.org wrote:
>> I don't even want particularly to be 'included in techies'
>> processes' so much as
>> to know that design of the most important of those processes are
>> starting from the needs and desires of ordinary activists, particularly
>> those with a lot less techy knowledge and interest than me..
>>
> This seems like a deeply problematic approach to me.

Me too, coders and users are one community. Don't expect to have a say
in software where you aren't contributing to the community.

I think though Sy that you seem to saying that Free software is really
good, whereas in fact lots of it sucks. Lightworks is in Beta and not
even available for Linux. LibreOffice has a sucky spreadsheet
implementation. Crabgrass is a pain in the arse. Ubuntu is not stable
enough and Debian is not accessible enough. These are all opinions of
course, but I'm not the only one with them by a long shot.

Free sofware takes longer to make because we need to find ways for a
large number of unpaid people to collaborate. Because of that we need
to build small components which work together and can be independently
maintained. We also end up scrapping large frameworks because they
just don't do what we want anymore. It all takes time. We don't really
yet have methodologies for deciding how to improve these structures
either.

Ah, if only providing nice GUIs was all we needed in Free Software,
we'd probably be there by now. Things is, Free Software is getting
better, getting stronger. We can speed that up by using it with
tolerance of it's faults and contributing to the development. Free
Software is not a service.

Woops, bit of a rant there.

Cheers,
==