[HacktionLab] HacktionLab Digest, Vol 38, Issue 22

Sy sytaffel at riseup.net
Tue Jun 21 11:48:04 UTC 2011

On 21/06/11 10:34, hacktionlab-request at lists.aktivix.org wrote:
> I don't even want particularly to be 'included in techies' processes' so much as
> to know that design of the most important of those processes are
> starting from the needs and desires of ordinary activists, particularly
> those with a lot less techy knowledge and interest than me..

This seems like a deeply problematic approach to me. While I understand
that most people are used to expecting that techs provide a service
(usually working for a company which is for profit, and is paid for by
advertising and data mining) which they simply consume, it seems quite
unfair to expect that activist techs become similar service providers.
The politics of social movements around building directly democratic,
inclusive and horizontally organised structures requires that people do
get involved and are included in techie processes and design, not simply
declaring that they don't want to be involved but will complain if they
deem the service they see other people providing isn't what they desire.
The producer/consumer relationship you seem to yearn for between 'tech'
and 'ordinary' activists does not and should not be a part of activist
culture because it's completely contradictory to the politics of the
movements themselves.

The kind of space BarnCamp creates, where people who aren't techs (and I
include myself in that category) are able to work on co-designing
projects with those who have the requisite technical skills, as well as
attending workshops which help to teach them some of the skills to begin
doing things from themselves rather than than being entirely dependent
on others for any technical input is imo important to achieving a
situation where there isn't a tech/ordinary or producer/consumer hierarchy.

I'm also intrigued to hear about some specific examples of problematic
FOSS/activist software you've encountered recently, if we were having
this discussion in 2005 I'd wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of
the usability of activist tech tools, however I really struggle to see
how your complaints apply to (for example) Ubuntu, Libre/Open Office,
Lightworks, Statusnet, Hyperactive, Wordpress (.org) or Crabgrass. Tech
tools have come a long way recently towards evolving a toolset which
empower users with limited technicity to create media-rich content which
imo can compete with all but a few high end professional proprietary
tools (which are out of the economic reach of most 'ordinary' people
anyways).

Sy