[HacktionLab] ogg camp

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Tue Jun 21 17:32:52 UTC 2011

Hi

I'm partly feeling guilty that I started a discussion that has led to
some bad feeling. But also positive that some good & interesting points
have given me some food for thought.

> by agreeing with
> someone else's comment that there could be value in some tech
> activists
> thinking a bit more politically

That was roughly what I said, but in the context of (warning - false
dichotomy coming up) tech activists supporting political activists to
think a bit more about tech. I think there's room & need for both in
general, but the scale of the need varies greatly from person to person.

In terms of taking things forward, I'm not so sure that more emails at
this time will create solutions (but I'm certainly not trying to
restrict conversation - just putting my view - for what it's worth - out
there).

For me, I think I'll take a step back to reflect [1]. But I will bear
this conversation in mind when I'm next planning some sort of
political-tech-activist thing and try to get people who are more towards
each end of the false dichotomy together (face to face if possible) and
see what practical ideas come up.

Cheers

[1] I have a simple way of reflecting. It's a bit like floatation
therapy, but without getting wet. http://ox4.org/~graham/reflect.jpg

On Tue 21 Jun 2011 18:15:10 BST, Zoe Young [zoe at esemplastic.net] emailed
subject: "Re: [HacktionLab] ogg camp" saying ...