[HacktionLab] fractal+html5 workshop idea for BarnCamp

Andy S andys at bristolwireless.net
Thu May 12 10:49:30 UTC 2011

On 12 May 2011 11:42, Adelayde Skidmore <adelayde at riseup.net> wrote:

>  On 12/05/2011 00:27, Ben Green wrote:
> > Quoting "Mike Harris" <mike at mbharris.co.uk>:
> >
> >> Be interested to hear what people think about it, and if anyone's
> >> interested in doing it.
> >
> > I might watch from afar, but not a developer so not so relevant for
> > me. I think it's a bit techie for a nerd gagged gathering too,
> > soooooo, please people on this list pledge your support to let me know
> > I'm wrong.
> My understanding of the nerd gag is for techs to refrain from using
> unexplained jargon in workshops, and also diverting/perverting
> discussions down a jargon-infested avenue that can isolate other people
> involved in the discussion.  Personally this applies as much to
> computing related topics as it does for others.  So, for example, if
> we're chatting about social movements and two people get talking about
> the comparison of Marxist doctrine verses the recent writings of Noam
> Chomsky, that would also require a nerd gag imho.
>
> I kind of therefore think that if a workshop is honestly presented as a
> techie workshop and no qualms are made about it being anything else, to
> wit: this one really needs people who know some maths past GCSE level
> and also have a handle on programming, then that might be okay.
>
> Obviously we need to schedule workshops closely to make sure there are
> alternatives running in parrallel to give everyone something to do.
>
> My aim here I guess was doing a proper geeky one to give those who like
> that kind of stuff something to get there hands into.  Although I also
> promise lots of very pretty pictures of fractals, so it would also
> appeal to those into freeform jazz art!

An html 5 workshop should certainly put the 'new' ltsp laptops through their
paces!! (now with open GL + localapps running - did somebody say games??!! )

*http://www.bristolwireless.net/* <http://www.bristolwireless.net/>*  | **0117
325 0067 |  **sip:info at bristolwireless.net*
*Bristol Wireless**
Windmill Hill City Farm