[HacktionLab] fractal+html5 workshop idea for BarnCamp

Adelayde Skidmore adelayde at riseup.net
Thu May 12 10:42:39 UTC 2011

 On 12/05/2011 00:27, Ben Green wrote:
> Quoting "Mike Harris" <mike at mbharris.co.uk>:
>
>> Be interested to hear what people think about it, and if anyone's
>> interested in doing it.
>
> I might watch from afar, but not a developer so not so relevant for
> me. I think it's a bit techie for a nerd gagged gathering too,
> soooooo, please people on this list pledge your support to let me know
> I'm wrong.
My understanding of the nerd gag is for techs to refrain from using
unexplained jargon in workshops, and also diverting/perverting
discussions down a jargon-infested avenue that can isolate other people
involved in the discussion.  Personally this applies as much to
computing related topics as it does for others.  So, for example, if
we're chatting about social movements and two people get talking about
the comparison of Marxist doctrine verses the recent writings of Noam
Chomsky, that would also require a nerd gag imho.

I kind of therefore think that if a workshop is honestly presented as a
techie workshop and no qualms are made about it being anything else, to
wit: this one really needs people who know some maths past GCSE level
and also have a handle on programming, then that might be okay.

Obviously we need to schedule workshops closely to make sure there are
alternatives running in parrallel to give everyone something to do.

My aim here I guess was doing a proper geeky one to give those who like
that kind of stuff something to get there hands into.  Although I also
promise lots of very pretty pictures of fractals, so it would also
appeal to those into freeform jazz art!