[HacktionLab] [FM Discuss] Press Release: Tunisian Activists Teach How To Bypass Internet Censorship

Adelayde Skidmore adelayde at riseup.net
Sat Oct 8 07:06:00 UTC 2011

> The problem with using non-free tools in that circumstance is that you
> can't be sure that closed source security tools actually /do/ protect
> you from your human rights abuser. How do you know there isn't a
> backdoor in that binary? How do you know the crypto isn't fatally flawed?
>
> You /really/,/really/ need to have the code at least available for
> review (even under a shitty non-free licence) when you're talking about
> anything to do with security. There's a writeup WRT crypto, for example,
> at: http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0205.html#1
Well put, that really is the killer reason for using open source
software in this situation.

I was thinking of a new article for the booklet based around using ssh
-D to create tunnels through firewalls.  I'd used it before but was
reminded of it whilst reading a copy of 2600 I 'borrowed' off
Charlie.... I thought it might be possible to try to write something to
explain it with an real-world example, then a link to the wiki with a
proper tutorial on how to make it work... what does everyone think about
that?  can we fit it in?  if there's support for it, I'll get penning it...