[HacktionLab] Booki, Sucki, Moani, Moani.

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Tue Sep 20 11:42:58 UTC 2011

>> Some more details on using CSS to export here.
>> http://en.flossmanuals.net/Booki-User-Guide/ch013_book-design-with-css/
>
> I'll add all that to the wiki page too. Remember that you said you'd
> have look at the CSS.

I followed the instructions on that page and it created this.

http://objavi.booki.cc/books/techtoolsforactivists2-en-2011.09.20-11.19.22.pdf

At the gathering we agreed to use booki to collaborate and then output
it to work on it in Scribus.

So a feature request would be to output in Scribus format if possible or
at least something that would open up in there looking good.

I am really interested in putting in some effort on trying to get booki
to output an a5 leaflet that could be printed off. As what ever we do it
is likely to get out date very soon, and taking layout out of the
equation would allow us to do much more frequent updates.

Here are some observations on output to pdf via css in booki.

* Including 'Sections' of various chapters. may not be appropriate for
the leaflet as it creates a section page. I"ll see if these and other
similar pages can be stripped out.

* Including images / photos / illustrations near the beginnings of
chapters makes it easier to ensure there isn't a problem with layout.

* You can theme <blockquoted> text pretty nicely which would work will
with our user stories or 100 word summaries. See chapter 11 in the above
example to see one possibility.

* Using Footnotes instead of including URLs in the text makes the layout
look nicer and the feel less techie.