[HacktionLab] Booklet printing - was > Re: How To Bypass Internet Censorship

Simon Worthington simon at metamute.org
Wed Sep 28 17:14:51 UTC 2011

Hiya,

On 28/09/2011 17:20, penguin wrote:

> Whilst I like the idea of print on demand, I'm more in favour of using
> activist friendly printers (we encourage people to use activist tech
> resources - I don't see why that should be limited to tech).
>
> There are a few links on the footprint page:
> http://www.footprinters.co.uk/links.html

The Imprint people may not be a Coop, but they're not likely to be
making any profit as theyre a radical publishers out on a farm

http://www.booksonix.com/imprint/bookshop/

publishing things like

*Against All Authority*
*Anarchism and the Literary Imagination*
*(Paperback -- 1 Aug 2011)*

*By Jeff Shantz <javascript:doSubmit('LI1')> (author)*
ISBN 9781845402372
Imprint Academic

> I also have a concern around distribution via the book trade. I like the
> idea of getting the booklet out there, but not so keen on putting time
> in for free for a commercial company to profit. This could just be me
> being a grumpy anti-capitalist, and a possible way round might be
> printing 'pay no more than x' on the cover?
Its tricky, I've seen a group called OR Books who don't allow they're
books to be sold anywhere involving the trade and only selling directly
http://www.orbooks.com/ we can use the ISBN system for simple
visibility. I don't think there is a problem with keeping the price
down, in fact thats what the capitalist systems do, like evil Amazon
they act as a engine to drive down price sending small shops and small
publishers out of existence, like a big out of town shopping centre.

My case for allowing shops to sell the book is that in my option we
can't be outside of capitalism until we smash it to smithereens, and its
behind us, and the pamphlet does a good job of empowering people to
bring that day closer :-)

> I'm open to persuasion on either of these.
>
> Cheers

All best

Simon

Beyond the stars - @mrchristian99