[HacktionLab] Getting data 100% safe

Ben Green ben at bristolwireless.net
Thu Apr 5 12:19:58 UTC 2012

Quoting Charlie Harvey <charlie at newint.org>:

> If you actually need your data to be secure, then you actually need to
> run a peer-reviewed OS (I prefer free software ones, but the
> availability of the source is the important thing here). If you just
> don't want it being seen by a casual attacker (like a neighbourhood cop
> or your family) then what you suggest might be enough.

Then you'll also need to:
* rid your system of any third party firmware for your wireless or
graphics card, printers
* never use any proprietary drivers
* always boot with Coreboot
* never use any closed source browser plugins

Recommended distros Ututo (website down) and
http://www.gnewsense.org/, but there will still be some firmware
present in your hardware and you still need to Coreboot. It's a tough
world.

All that said, I don't think it's just the availability of the source
code, its whether people more knowledgeable and with more free time
have actually bothered to look at it. I think only really Linux and
BSD kernels fit this.

In short, for a basic guide, Linux is a good bet for security.

Cheers,
==
 From Ben Green