[HacktionLab] publishing and bethemedia

Mick Fuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Wed Apr 11 16:15:55 UTC 2012

On 09/04/12 15:06, Simon Worthington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Simon from Mute here.
>
> Great to see everything taking off and like the site
> https://techtoolsforactivism.org/alternatives-to-twitter
>
> I can give some help with event spaces for bethemedia if thats still
> needed, and also if accommodation I can help out there too with quite
> a few places nearby to LARC, down in Poplar.
>
> We've got some projects to contribute and I'll get these up on the
> wiki, our main focus is FLOSS publishing tools but also some across
> the board digital support for cultural groups.
>
> We have an eBook conversion service, about to be Open Sourced once its
> out of beta and its engineering is in a presentable state. So we could
> offer an A-Z on eBook publishing, typesetting to distro.

looks good! don't forget booktype (formerly booki) which is what
flossmanuals is based on
http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/booktype/

> Second we're interested in replacements for FaceBook/Twitter, we've
> tried to get some work going here on our wiki resource site
> TheKnowledge
> http://theknowledge.aodl.org.uk/index.php/Social_Media_Research#Making_a_non-corporate_Social_Media_strategy
>
> But we kind of got stuck in our tracks when trying to use things like
> Diaspora and at least at the time not really finding them viable.

I've only found diaspora and friendica useful for Free Software news.
But I could say the same for identi.ca / status.net before indy.im
started. Now indy.im is a great source of headline, and infact has
totally replaced going to indymedia websites for news feeds for me.

I think it's great that a core group of people can turn a potentially
useful technology into an actually useful one.

I wonder if we as a network could do the same for diaspora / friendica ?

Not that we have the answers but it would be good to work together on
seeing what alternative baskets of services could be recommended, in a
way to build on TechToolsforActivists have put together. We'd like to
get to a position where we could go to theatre groups or others and
give them a way to leave FB/TW behind but at the mo that not really
possible, when people are so dependent on them for getting their
message out.

a lot of groups do seem to be at the same place at the moment. no
answers but similar questions.
I can see a really good session with fridge magnets representing
different online social media tools and drawing lines to connect them.
(workshop requirements 6 fridges for break out groups!)