[HacktionLab] publishing and bethemedia

Simon Worthington simon at metamute.org
Mon Apr 9 14:06:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

Simon from Mute here.

Great to see everything taking off and like the site
https://techtoolsforactivism.org/alternatives-to-twitter

I can give some help with event spaces for bethemedia if thats still
needed, and also if accommodation I can help out there too with quite
a few places nearby to LARC, down in Poplar.

We've got some projects to contribute and I'll get these up on the
wiki, our main focus is FLOSS publishing tools but also some across
the board digital support for cultural groups.

We have an eBook conversion service, about to be Open Sourced once its
out of beta and its engineering is in a presentable state. So we could
offer an A-Z on eBook publishing, typesetting to distro.

Second we're interested in replacements for FaceBook/Twitter, we've
tried to get some work going here on our wiki resource site
TheKnowledge
http://theknowledge.aodl.org.uk/index.php/Social_Media_Research#Making_a_non-corporate_Social_Media_strategy

But we kind of got stuck in our tracks when trying to use things like
Diaspora and at least at the time not really finding them viable.

Not that we have the answers but it would be good to work together on
seeing what alternative baskets of services could be recommended, in a
way to build on TechToolsforActivists have put together. We'd like to
get to a position where we could go to theatre groups or others and
give them a way to leave FB/TW behind but at the mo that not really
possible, when people are so dependent on them for getting their
message out.

Looking forward to it all :-)

Cheers

Simon

- --
Beyond the stars
http://identi.ca/mrchristian
00 44 0790 406 6702 bbm 26983E0C
chat mrchristian at jappix.com

Mute Magazine - sic gorgiamuse allos subjectatos nunc
#M302 politics my arse http://metamute.org/