[HacktionLab] publishing and bethemedia

Simon Worthington simon at metamute.org
Thu Apr 12 08:03:18 UTC 2012

Hi Mick,

On 11/04/12 17:15, Mick Fuzz wrote:
> On 09/04/12 15:06, Simon Worthington wrote: Hi,
>
> Simon from Mute here.
>
> Great to see everything taking off and like the site
> https://techtoolsforactivism.org/alternatives-to-twitter
>
> I can give some help with event spaces for bethemedia if thats
> still needed, and also if accommodation I can help out there too
> with quite a few places nearby to LARC, down in Poplar.
>
> We've got some projects to contribute and I'll get these up on the
> wiki, our main focus is FLOSS publishing tools but also some
> across the board digital support for cultural groups.
>
> We have an eBook conversion service, about to be Open Sourced once
> its out of beta and its engineering is in a presentable state. So
> we could offer an A-Z on eBook publishing, typesetting to distro.
>
>> looks good! don't forget booktype (formerly booki) which is what
>> flossmanuals is based on
>> http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/booktype/

Yes totally, I'll have a think about what might be most appropriate
for the meeting as there is so much to cover, maybe if I come up with
a few options then people can chip in and say what they think would be
best.

PS Can I get an account on the wiki, I though I had one but doesnt
seem to work and create an account seems to be missing
http://hacktivista.net/

> Second we're interested in replacements for FaceBook/Twitter,
> we've tried to get some work going here on our wiki resource site
> TheKnowledge
> http://theknowledge.aodl.org.uk/index.php/Social_Media_Research#Making_a_non-corporate_Social_Media_strategy
>

> But we kind of got stuck in our tracks when trying to use things
> like Diaspora and at least at the time not really finding them
> viable.
>
>> I've only found diaspora and friendica useful for Free Software
>> news. But I could say the same for identi.ca / status.net before
>> indy.im started. Now indy.im is a great source of headline, and
>> infact has totally replaced going to indymedia websites for news
>> feeds for me.
>
>> I think it's great that a core group of people can turn a
>> potentially useful technology into an actually useful one.
>
>> I wonder if we as a network could do the same for diaspora /
>> friendica ?
Its a good point, but we have found that some things just don't even
work, like when you go and look at the development home of diasopra.

>> Not that we have the answers but it would be good to work
>> together on seeing what alternative baskets of services could be
>> recommended, in a way to build on TechToolsforActivists have put
>> together. We'd like to get to a position where we could go to
>> theatre groups or others and give them a way to leave FB/TW
>> behind but at the mo that not really possible, when people are so
>> dependent on them for getting their message out.
>

>> a lot of groups do seem to be at the same place at the moment.
>> no answers but similar questions. I can see a really good session
>> with fridge magnets representing different online social media
>> tools and drawing lines to connect them. (workshop requirements 6
>> fridges for break out groups!)

I was recently given a really huge fridge, I'll wheelie it along, the
monster fridge.

Maybe in tandem we need to look at the engineering challenges, is
there anyone in the group that could lead a technical dev workshop to
give a view on proposed social networking systems.

I'll get wiki-ing over the weekend

PPS sorry if I missed it, are we ready to promo the event and use the
new artwork?