[HacktionLab] details and date of hackcamp

Mick Fuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Fri Apr 13 11:21:56 UTC 2012

this looks good!
--//--

Hey all,

As you may already know, some of us are currently busy planning a hacker
camp for later this summer called Electromagnetic Field ("EMF 2012".) Over
the course of the last few weeks we managed to find a suitable venue and
we're about to put down a deposit. With that out of the way we can now
start opening this up to a wider group of volunteers and start looking at
the logistics. There are still a few unknowns that may change our plans,
but for now we're keen to keep moving forward :)

The Plan So Far:

Electromagnetic Field 2012 is a three-day camping festival for people with
an inquisitive mind and an interest in science, engineering, DIY,
technology, arts, or crafts. It will be a cross between a tech conference
and a music festival, with talks and workshops on a wide range of subjects.
A great opportunity to meet like-minded people, to learn, to teach, to
play, and have a drink with a stranger. A festival for anyone interested in
3D printing, DIYBio, knitting, electronics, Internet culture, space,
lockpicking, homebrewing, robots, UAVs, mind hacking, radio, or pretty much
anything else you can think of... in a field!

The festival will be on 31st August - 2nd September 2012, just outside
Milton Keynes, with capacity for up to 500 people.

How You Can Help:

1.) There are some larger open questions relating to camp infrastructure
that are currently being looked at (Internet, power, water supply,
sanitation, sponsorship, parking, ...) Although we already have a great
initial infrastructure team, help with any of these is much appreciated.

2.) We're currently looking for a great logo designer. We are starting a
competition for this, so get in touch on the mailing list if you're keen.
And please have a word with your talented designer friends.

3.) We're starting to look at talks, workshops, music, and other
activities. Let us know if you would like to contribute, either by offering
an event, or by helping to find great speakers. A more formal request for
contributions will be sent out in the next few weeks.

How to Get Involved:

- We're currently meeting every Monday at pubs in London to coordinate
this.
- The mailing list is a great way to discuss our progress:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-hack-camp
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://groups.google.com/group/uk-hack-camp&usg=AFQjCNGb8F14iPMxb6ZDPUmRamBklWsNEw>

- You can find planning details and contact people on our wiki,
particularly in our meeting minutes:http://wiki.emfcamp.org/
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://wiki.emfcamp.org/&usg=AFQjCNHUdBLy8f-P6KHTd65lH58hkO1Vgw>

- And of course there's an IRC channel, #ukhackcamp on Freenode.

About the Team:

EMF 2012 is a volunteer effort by a non-profit group, loosely inspired by
European and US hacker camps like CCC, HAR, and toorcamp. London Hackspace
regulars will know many of the people involved (though the organisations
are entirely independent), but we're gradually growing the team beyond
that. We felt the UK was lacking a great camping festival that was not just
about music, and we're keen to find out what it'll be like. This can only
happen with the help of many volunteers, we hope you can all help us to
make something great :)