[HacktionLab] publishing and bethemedia

mick fuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Mon Apr 23 10:58:33 UTC 2012

> >> I think it's great that a core group of people can turn a
> >> potentially useful technology into an actually useful one.
>
> >> I wonder if we as a network could do the same for diaspora /
> >> friendica ?
> Its a good point, but we have found that some things just don't even
> work, like when you go and look at the development home of diasopra.

that's disappointing

I could be jumping the gun a bit here, but the best options for
diaspora may well come out of the forks happening - esp the pistos -
diaspora fork
http://pillowfortress.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/diaspora-forks-more-than-just-the-core-diaspora-alpha-forks/

> >> Not that we have the answers but it would be good to work
> >> together on seeing what alternative baskets of services could be
> >> recommended, in a way to build on TechToolsforActivists have put
> >> together. We'd like to get to a position where we could go to
> >> theatre groups or others and give them a way to leave FB/TW
> >> behind but at the mo that not really possible, when people are so
> >> dependent on them for getting their message out.
>

> >> a lot of groups do seem to be at the same place at the moment.
> >> no answers but similar questions. I can see a really good session
> >> with fridge magnets representing different online social media
> >> tools and drawing lines to connect them. (workshop requirements 6
> >> fridges for break out groups!)
>
> I was recently given a really huge fridge, I'll wheelie it along, the
> monster fridge.

Cool - I think this could be a great session -
is there anyone out there that has done anything like this or knows
any good blog posts about - creating an alternative social media /
networking strategy?

> Maybe in tandem we need to look at the engineering challenges, is
> there anyone in the group that could lead a technical dev workshop to
> give a view on proposed social networking systems.
>
> I'll get wiki-ing over the weekend
>
> PPS sorry if I missed it, are we ready to promo the event and use the
> new artwork?

In my signature this week, I am mainly promoting ....
http://clearerchannel.org -  Training, documentation, advice and media
production
http://sunseed.org.uk - An ecological and educational community in
Almeria, Spain