[HacktionLab] Let's discuss BarnCamp dates, Luddites' gathering and G8 clashes

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 13:10:44 UTC 2012

Hi All,

So the dates of BarnCamp have been set for the 13th - 17th June.  These
are the 'traditional' dates we've done it on, or rather it's the 2nd
full week in June start.

The observant among you will have noticed a bit of a clash with
something called the G8, which is going to be held in NI, near
Enniskellen, county Fermanagh on 17th-18th June.

We also thought there'd be a clash with the Luddites' gathering, but
they've now moved their date to 25th-28th July.

So, what to do?

Some options might be:

1) Sod the G8, it's in Northern Ireland, bugger any other things and
just carry on with BarnCamp, but perhaps have an anti-G8 focus as a kind
of counter-summit (contracumbre), and even run a media centre from BarnCamp.

2) Sod doing BarnCamp at the same time as the G8 and move the date of
BarnCamp way off into September 2013, right out of the way in other words.

3) Bring the date of BarnCamp forward by a weekend (if Highbury Farm are
happy with this).

4) Merge into the Luddites' gathering and do that as a BarnCamp-Luddites
combined event (if they're up for that).

5) And any of the above decisions would not preclude us taking part in
the Luddites' Gathering anyway.

There's pros and cons in all of those above.

I propose then that we have a discussion on this list, then once it's
clear we have all the options on the table, move them to a decider and
vote on it.  Any seconders for that?

Please if you have any proposals or firm thoughts on this, can you
partake in a debate about it, as I think we all need to be on board to
make this decision.  Thanks.