[HacktionLab] diaspora and friendika section for tech tools?

mara mara at aktivix.org
Thu Jan 5 14:19:09 UTC 2012

On 03/01/12 19:18, Simon Worthington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/01/12 20:19, m3shrom wrote:
>> Hi there,
>
>> does anyone fancy writing a bit on diaspora and/or friendika? for
>> the guide
>
> I was about to do a few hour research on diaspora tomorrow to see if
> its really viable to expect people to move to diaspora as I wanted to
> see if I could move Mute onto it, I'll write up a report on my
> findings (poking around). It might not be suitable for the guide but
> lets see.

I had another look at diaspora over the holidays, and here's some
spontaneous thoughts.

I think it'll still be hard to get people to move to diaspora. E.g.
there no events at all, which seems like a major feature. There aren't
pages either. If you post links, it only pulls thumbnail and abstract
from a few providers, but mostly just shows up as link. The "aspect"
thing is still somewhat confusing, and resets to "all aspects" each time
the page is refreshed. Notifications require clicking through, rather
than providing any info...

It's these missing features, and problems with usability, plus the lack
of everyone's friends being there already and actually having someone to
connect to, that will probably be in the way of people actually seeing
it as feasible alternative to facebook.

While I fully support including these alternatives in the booklet, I
don't think they are very workable for most people, and wouldn't spend
too much time on writing something up.

Mara