[HacktionLab] Exciting news from HacktionLab

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Tue Jan 24 10:37:42 UTC 2012

On 24/01/12 00:31, Alan Dawson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 12:35:08PM +0000, Adelayde Skidmore wrote:
>>
>> I believe the intention is that the new site proposal at
>> http://pxr5.hacktivista.net under the new guise of
>> www.techtoolsforactivism.org should link together all of the facilities
>> provided by those projects that have been directly involved in
>> hacktionlab, as well as detail alternatives of those that have not
>> (Riseup, Sin Dominio and Floss Manuals for example).
>
> I was looking over the site, and wondered if the categories should be organised differently.
>
> Rather than
>
>     #1 Email
>     #2 Blogging
>     #3 Hosting
>     #4 Microblogging
>     #5 Education
>     #6 Outreach
>

> # Organising
>     - this would contain email, lists, crabgrass, unspeak, mumble
> # Publishing
>     - network23,indy.im, btm, catalyst
> # Learning
>     - ttfa book, flossmanuals, hacklabs
>
> too abstract ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan Dawson

Hi,

Well as I see it the main advantages are:

* Cuts down the number of tabs
* Helps non-techs identify the tool they need by what they are trying to
achieve rather than having already to know the tool.

It will most likely be a bit annoying for techs, and people who already
know that they want an email account or a blog. They will think "but I
want an email account, not organizing, learning or publishing".

If we changed them, I'd use the imperative mood (the bare infinitive
form of the verbs). By which I mean organize, publish, learn. Apparently
that works better for task-orientated navigation.

Cheers,

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** We offer a range of design, production, editorial, publishing and
mail order services. See http://nin.tl/hire-ni **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK