[HacktionLab] Exciting news from HacktionLab

m3shrom at riseup.net m3shrom at riseup.net
Tue Jan 24 14:19:35 UTC 2012

>> I was looking over the site, and wondered if the categories should be
>> organised differently.
>>
>> Rather than
>>
>>     #1 Email
>>     #2 Blogging
>>     #3 Hosting
>>     #4 Microblogging
>>     #5 Education
>>     #6 Outreach
>>

>> # Organising
>>     - this would contain email, lists, crabgrass, unspeak, mumble
>> # Publishing
>>     - network23,indy.im, btm, catalyst
>> # Learning
>>     - ttfa book, flossmanuals, hacklabs
>>
>> too abstract ?

I think that they are both valid but yes it seems a bit too abstract to
just have those meta categories.
As Charlie says if you are looking for a blog or email you really want
that to be one click away.

Drupal can easily do 2 menus and this can be organised pretty well in
cases. I wonder if it would suit us. So something along this lines

One menu - GET; Email, List, Blog, Micro-blog, VPN, Crabgrass

One menu - Organise, Learn, Create Media, Publish, Contact

What do people think?
nice one

Also I can't make it but it would be great if Tech Tools for Activism
could be represented at the following event, anyone up for it?

*
Join us in Manchester on Saturday 18 Feb for Netroots North West.
*
We're getting together 100 activists and campaigners from across the
North West and beyond, for an afternoon of shared learning, ideas and
debates.

Netroots North West aims to facilitate the growth of infrastructure and
networks for left and centre-left online activism by creating a space
for campaigners and activists to build their capacity, both individually
and as a collective movement.

Come along for practical training sessions in campaigning skills and
making the most of technology for activism, discussions on campaign
strategies, and presentations on new developments and challenges for
online progressives.

We'll be releasing more details and a full programme nearer the time,
but you can book online
<http://www.netrootsuk.org/register_now/?regevent_action=register&event_id=2>
now to reserve your place. The afternoon takes place at Manchester
University, 12 noon to 5pm. Tickets (strictly limited) are £5, or free
to unwaged/student participants.

*Have you got an idea for making the most of Netroots North West?*

We're putting together a broad programme of training, discussions and
networking and want to include as many people as we can in devising the
sessions.

If you've got an interesting experience or study that you'd like to
share with other activists, an issue you want to see tackled, or a
practical technique that you could help train others in, get in touch
<http://www.netrootsuk.org/netroots-north-west-2012/submit-an-idea-for-netroots-north-west/>.

We're looking for people to run sessions, contribute to discussions, or
just give us ideas that we can find others to help deliver.

We'll be considering all submissions, and hope to be able to work in as
many ideas as we can -- either as sessions in their own right or as a
particular focus for other sessions we're running.

*About Netroots
*
Netroots UK <http://www.netrootsuk.org> is a loose coalition, working to
network grassroots activists working right across the left-wing
spectrum. If you're an anti-cuts campaigner, environmentalist, trade
unionist, political supporter, equality activist, tax campaigner, or
anyone interested in left and centre left politics and issues, join us
to learn from each other's experiences, and help plan future collaborations.

We're very grateful to Manchester University for their assistance in
hosting Netroots North West, as well as to the TUC for sponsorship.

We look forward to seeing many of you on the 18th!

John Wood - john at netrootsuk.org
& Becky Luff - becky at netrootsuk.org