[HacktionLab] New Open Source / Android Communication Tools?

sam at bristolwireless.net sam at bristolwireless.net
Thu Jul 26 19:30:54 UTC 2012

Hi All

This page contains some Android apps that may be of interest (with links):
http://hacktivista.net/hacktionlab/index.php/TTFA2:_Mobile_Phone_Security_and_Android_Apps

Cheers

Sam

----

Android

The Guardian project are doing really useful work on Android platform

ObscuraCam is a visual privacy app for photo and video, that gives you
the power to better protect the identity of those captures in your
photos, before you post them online. ObscuraCam will automatically
detect faces that you can pixelate, redact (blackout) or protect with
funny nose and glasses.
Encrypted file system

Cryptonite
Encrypted SMS Messages

TextSecure is recommended by the Guardian project
Setting up a VPN on an Android Phone

some info and a link to step by step instructions -
http://en.flossmanuals.net/basic-internet-security/ch050_vpn-on-android/
Encrypted Web browsing

Orbot & Orweb - These two apps really go hand in hand, Orbot is the
Android port of Tor a tool for anonymous online activity (whilst tor
is not completely secure it's still a lot better than nothing) and
Orweb is a browser made for it by The Guardian Project which is
automatically configured to use Tor.
Encrypted Email

k9 mail
Encrypted VOIP

Csip simple
Local wireless webserver

Using Paw and the PirateBox plugin it is possible to run a webserver
from your phone. Users see the wireless network broadcasting from your
phone, connect to it, and are then redirected to a local webpage that
also runs on your phone.
This can be used for sharing bust card information at a demo. Or
sharing the ObscuraCam.apk amongst a crowd for example. By default the
app also installs a local chatroom that runs on the phone acting as
the server. This should maybe be deleted for security reasons?
Remote control

Activists can be detained by authorities in order to stop their work
or to gain access to information they are carrying on their persons.
In these situations it is often difficult for that individual to
anticipate their detention, leaving the data they are carrying
unprotected and easily compromised. If a remote support team is able
to determine that their team member has been detained, it should be
possible for them to remotely control that member?s mobile device to
either erase or disable access to the information it. There are a
number of applications that can do this.
Android lost is both free (as in beer, not libre) and allows control
via SMS which is useful as it allows you to turn on 3G if it is turned
off. (It does seem to use Google log in credentials, could anyone
comment on whether this poses a security risk?