[HacktionLab] instant messaging irc, pidgin, otr, xchat, wtf

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Tue Mar 13 17:35:54 UTC 2012

On 13/03/12 15:28, Dave Hollis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I think you oversaw xchat. It is widely available:
>

> "XChat runs on the following operating systems: GNU/Linux, FreeBSD,
> NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, AIX, IRIX, Mac OS X, Windows
> 98/ME/NT/2000/XP and others. Support for 98/ME was dropped from the
> official Windows build, (Wikipedia)

I'm with you as far as usability

BUT (and this is a big one) - as far as I can work out it is only Free
Software on linux
The mac and windows versions have 30 day time outs which really sucks!

I could be wrong but this has been my experience so far.

I'm also particularly interested if anyone has use of how pidgin can be
used with jabber protocol which is now called xmpp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Messaging_and_Presence_Protocol

i'm sure this is supposed to be very useful in lots of ways but i'm not
sure exactly how to us yet.

nice one
mick