[HacktionLab] instant messaging irc, pidgin, otr, xchat, wtf

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Tue Mar 13 17:20:15 UTC 2012

On Tue 13 Mar 2012 17:35:54 GMT, m3shrom [m3shrom at riseup.net] emailed
subject: "Re: [HacktionLab] instant messaging irc, pidgin, otr, xchat,
wtf" saying ...

> On 13/03/12 15:28, Dave Hollis wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I think you oversaw xchat. It is widely available:
>>

>> "XChat runs on the following operating systems: GNU/Linux, FreeBSD,
>> NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, AIX, IRIX, Mac OS X, Windows
>> 98/ME/NT/2000/XP and others. Support for 98/ME was dropped from the
>> official Windows build, (Wikipedia)
>
> I'm with you as far as usability
>
> BUT (and this is a big one) - as far as I can work out it is only Free
> Software on linux
> The mac and windows versions have 30 day time outs which really sucks!
>
> I could be wrong but this has been my experience so far.

You're correct - "You may use XChat for Windows for free for 30 days.
If, after this time, you would like to continue using the product, you
are required to register. Registration is a one time fee of ?15.99"

And I cannot see a Mac version on the XChat site. Although there is
XChat Aqua http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchataqua/