[HacktionLab] instant messaging irc, pidgin, otr, xchat, wtf

m3shrom m3shrom at riseup.net
Tue Mar 13 19:02:01 UTC 2012

> Hi m3shrom,
>
> Other irc clients that are GPL and cross platform:
> 	ChatZilla, kvirc, Quassel, http://pchat-irc.net/
>
> How is xmpp useful?
> 	* distributed voice and video chat
> 	* encrypted IM
> 	* general IM
>
> Its what google voice is made out of.
>
> Cheers, Charlie

I'm trying a xmpp client now called gajim as for some reason this I
couldn't get pidgin to install on debian for some reason.

I get a choice of a whole host of jabber servers to sign up for an
account on.
i'm now a proud owner of mickfuzz at jabber.us

Does this mean that i can connect to anyone else with an xmpp account on
any server or do they have to be on the same server?

I'll try to get gibberbot working with this jabber/xmpp account as well
if anyone else wants to play by sending me a their xmpp details.

nice one
mick