[HacktionLab] Fwd: Pirate bay

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Tue May 1 09:53:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 10:47:10AM +0200, Dave Hollis wrote:
> Simpler would be first to change the DNS entries to google's servers. Whatever
> works, I think your dad also should use a vpn like, for example, ipredator.

Altering the DNS will only work if the blocks are implemented at an ISP DNS level.
It's possible that they will use a CleanFeed style implementation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleanfeed_%28content_blocking_system%29#Technical_implementation

Which would need some kind of encrypted proxy ( eg. tor ) or an vpn tunnel to an unfiltered exit point ( eg https://help.riseup.net/en/riseup-vpn )

Sadly downloading copyrighted content then just shifts the legal issues to the operator of the exit point.
A commercial vpn service like ipredator might be better able to respond to those legal problems.

Another option could be to use an ISP like AAISP who make a commitment on their website to provide a "real internet connection"
http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-realinternet.html

Regards,

Alan Dawson
--
"The introduction of a coordinate system to geometry is an act of violence"