[HacktionLab] We need to talk about Facebook

Sikes sikes at squat.net
Tue Nov 27 19:12:47 UTC 2012

HAI

As accessible networks go:

The real challenge is to offer alternatives. For the moment there is some
stuff as far as email (axtivix, riseup, squat.net etc) and microblogging
(statusnet:  indy.im etc) but nothing as far as faecesbook is concerned.
The email servers are not really for the masses either.

Would it not be a good idea to have a real crowd funded mail server
project where people can actually have a mail account without being
introduced etc AND where the admin crew guarantees that no data are used
or sold at all?

As far as faecesbook alternatives are concerned, diapora does not seem to
be ready for real world deployment codewise, let alone that there is
'physical' infrastructure to run a social media network for the masses.
Please note that even if diaspora was ready, it would still require a
critical mass of users to work properly. IMHO, this last bit could only be
achieved by broadcasting into faecesbook in a way similar to what
statusnet does with twitter.

As far as 'telling ppl that they are making the wrong choices' goes:

As mentioned earlier (and drowned in carcirogenic mobile airwaves ;), it's
really about WHAT is fed to the coporate cloud data harvesters and HOW, as
opposed to which one of them.

I believe telling ppl to 'encrypt their emails' does not address this at
all, while it's much easier to use an alias or even separate personas for
different purposes (which also does not prevent anyone from using PKI
encryption \o/)

At the bottom line, I believe that all this can only work is both of the
above mentioned things are addressed ( whats wrong with corporate cloud
infrastructure feeding AND where can you get the same benefits without
having to give up your privacy)

kizziz
IAH

fighting for your digital rights: