[HacktionLab] Video was Re: [dev23] Made some changes to web site

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Sun Oct 28 23:36:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 03:31:55PM +0000, M3shrom wrote:

> let's put this out to the hacktionlab list and see what people think maybe
>
> an video hosting service may be the next part of the puzzle

I guess there are number of different user stories we could examine, here's two

1. I want to share 15 sec wobbly mobphone vids
   - I'll upload to whatever sharing network my peer group is using and that sharing network will automatically thumbnail,reencode and embed it in my social stream.  I have to be able to do this inside the time it takes to drink a cup of coffee though.  It exists on my phone, which is backed up automatically to some "cloud" service

2. I've invested some time editing a well produced video object.  It's got a soundtrack, some cross fades, dissolves, and is about 5-15 min long.  The audience will be primarily online.
   - I upload it to youtube, vimeo ... etc , get an embed code and put in my site. I have a HQ backup on my editing workstation, and burn copies to DVD

I don't have any answers for these cases

Case 1.

I don't think statusnet will do this as we speak, but it doesn't sound impossible.  I'm sure the other p2p social networking apps ( diaspora/tent.is/friendika ... ) will all do this at some point. Automatically backing up your phone could be done maybe through owncloud ? There was this report http://identi.ca/conversation/96681418#notice-97511571 but no details.

Case 2.
A lot of this depends on the reach you think you video will have.  We all want our content to go viral/global... but there is no escaping the need for vast amount of cache to do that.

But if you're not hosting a global resource, why not just DiY it ? There have been various implementations of Drupal youtube clones.
The latest hotness is mediagoblin, which is federated and distributed, and plans OStatus support ( so statusnet users can subscribe to media channels ).  This does all the video encoding etc ( example https://gobblin.se/u/boneidol/m/1156/ )

Regarding hyperactive, and video.  I recall the Cop15 event a few years ago.  Hyperactive was powering some sites reporting on the event and there were some videos being uploaded to them.  There was an interesting feature in the video rendering on the site, that created a torrent file for the download, to could  be used in the miro video player ( I think that let you monitor an rss feed for video, and then automatically download all the media. )  I made some effort to make sure that I seeded all the available video.  Whilst doing this monitored the numbers of clients that connected to the swarm.  Sadly it was practically zero.  I'm sure that the other distribution methods ( http download of mp4, embedded flash ) were much more popular.
Perhaps this was because it required another application to engage with the content.  If it requires anything other than a web browser, people aren't going to use it.

Regards,

Alan Dawson
--
"The introduction of a coordinate system to geometry is an act of violence"