[HacktionLab] Clashes with Barncamp: Luddites.... and the G8!

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Sun Oct 28 18:23:40 UTC 2012

Hi All,

So at the Bookfair I found out that the Luddites have just confirmed
that they've organised a workshop-camping event based around the
politics, history and sociology of technology in Sheffield on the same
weekend as BarnCamp!

http://www.luddites200.org.uk/News.html

Ignore the fact it says April/May, it is actually now confirmed as June.

I spoke to David from them on Saturday, and we agreed that it way a
shame that they were clashing.  I am afraid to say that I didn't hide my
dismay at the clash and slight pissedofness at them for not having
thought about this.  The latter part being slightly unfair of me I know,
but it was an honest response, if not as mature as it could have been,
response. :P

Anyway, we discuss hook-ups and cross-overs, and I have thought
afterwards that perhaps it's really not an issue as perhaps we're really
compatible and it's good that two things are going on at the same time.
The shame is that they wanted us to come and do something at their
event, and it would have been great to have them come to our event.  If
anyone's got any ideas for how we could hook up, then throw them ideas
out onto the list etc.  I'm not that au fait with them, and so if any of
you are involved, or if you've done stuff with them, then have you any
ideas?

Anyway, as well as this, it seems to be being mooted that there will be
a G8 summit in the UK on the very same weekend, so all of the
Luddites-BarnCamp debate could become entirely academic.  In this
instance, it may be more sensible to move the date of BarnCamp entirely
out of the way, to something like September.

All probably a bit pre-emptive this, but worth thinking about early on I
reckon...

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893
0: http://mbharris.co.uk/keys/pgp.html