[HacktionLab] twitter + statusnet client

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Tue Apr 30 16:38:54 UTC 2013

On 30/04/13 12:44, johnc wrote:

> Hi Charlie,
>
> Thanks. Looks like I would have to mix bash and perl or else bash and
> vimscripts. That's a little more work than I intended to do (lazy sys
> admin that I am :-)). I was thinking of something like twidge
> (https://github.com/jgoerzen/twidge/commits/master). But I'd like
> something that's a bit more actively maintained.
>
> See you later.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Hi,

Not sure if this list likes attachments.

I figured out a way to call the API from Bash directly, which might do
what you want. Depending on what you want. Its kind of cool anyway ;-)

Steps to reproduce:

Get this:
http://acme.com/software/oauth_sign/

Compile it with 'make'

Get some twitter/statusnet creds to Oauth with. The Twitter ones are at:
http://dev.twitter.com/ -> Your apps -> Register a new app

You have to make the app read/write if you want to be able to post.

The attached script posts a tweet and spits out the json reply. You can
just change the API call for whatever it is you want to do and curl
appropriately.

Tested at:
https://twitter.com/ciderpunx/status/329268385298915331

Haven't tried with statusnet cos I don't have any creds to hand...

Cheers,

> On 30/04/13 11:00, Charlie Harvey wrote:
>> On 30/04/13 10:51, johnc wrote:
>
>> > Hi,
>
>> > What do you recommend for a command line statusnet + twitter client
>> > which can be used non-interactively. i.e. ran from a bash script.
>
>> > Cheers,
>> > John
>
>> Hi,
>
>> At newint we use various scripts made out of:
>> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-Twitter/
>
>> Personally I also use TwitVim. You can examine the source for a curl
>> approach to using Twitter/identi.ca/statusnet. Or maybe get into writing
>> vim scripts:
>> https://github.com/vim-scripts/TwitVim
>
>> Cheers,

Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** Celebrating 40 years of doing the right thing: New Internationalist,
est. 1973**

*Amnesty Media Award winner 2012*

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK