[HacktionLab] FYI: in browser tor bridge relays

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Thu Jan 3 22:17:31 UTC 2013

Hi,

Saw this and thought of hacktionlab:

https://crypto.stanford.edu/flashproxy/

==
Flash proxies are a new way of providing access to a censorship
circumvention system such as Tor. A flash proxy is a miniature proxy
that runs in a web browser. It checks for clients that need access, then
conveys data between them and a Tor relay.

Tor has bridge relays, but in some cases even these can be blocked
despite the fact that their addresses are handed out only a few at a
time. The purpose of this project is to create many, generally ephemeral
bridge IP addresses, with the goal of outpacing a censor's ability to
block them. Rather than increasing the number of bridges at static
addresses, we aim to make existing bridges reachable by a larger and
changing pool of addresses.

"Flash proxy" is a name that should make you think "quick" and
"short-lived." Our implementation uses standard web technologies:
JavaScript and WebSocket.
==