[HacktionLab] discussion on community run communication

johnc johnc at aktivix.org
Sun Jun 2 10:23:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm a big fan of wireless mesh networks so am happy to see proposals
for workshops etc. using this technology. There is a problem however
with using the 430-440Mhz band. The bandwidth requirement is 22Mhz for
802.11b/g. You would spill over into neighbouring bands. In the UK
these are already used by emergency services, the MoD and others.

The link below is for the UK frequency allocation table.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/spectrum/spectrum-information/UKFAT_2013.pdf

Maybe this isn't such a good idea :-(

Another approach is to use plain old wifi but with innovatively
designed receivers/transmitters: cantenna, woktenna etc.

They've achieved ranges of several kilometres. e.g.
http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

Satellite dishes can be modded easily enough also and cantennas can be
combined with satellite dishes. See below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna

Cheers,
John