[HacktionLab] Recovering from and following up on this year's BarnCamp

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 15:45:08 UTC 2013

On 11/06/2013 18:59, Mick Fuzz wrote:
> How does that sound, and does anyone fancy taking that on?
>
> Armed with a questionnaire I propose we send out a summary email
> covering anything we missed by not having a closing plenary, like useful
> links to things mentioned in the workshops,
>
> ---
>
> I'd be up for getting a summary email together with links from workshop
> convenes.
Nice one.

Do you think the questionnaire is a good idea Mick?  We did the last one
after the 2009 BarnCamp.

> A quick bit of informal feedback from me. I missed the lack closing
> circle / plenary too, especially for thank yous, and a 'wtf next'
> session. I think we just forgot that it wouldn't happen unless people
> stepped up to facilitate it.
we also had 3 workshops that day: so I think we may have had a workshop
after lunch where normally it would have been a plenary...
> The closest thing was the 'Prism - What next for tech activism'
> discussion on Sunday morning straight after the morning circle. That
> tried to incorporate elements that maybe would have better gone in a
> closing circle. I think we all know, we can do this better next time
> with a little planning.
yep me too, but I think we did well this time too, a lot of us
appreciated the slightly looser and more vague flow of the event without
the pressure of having to determine strict outcomes.

> Apart from that I think the open space workshop format worked pretty
> well, it felt like most people giving workshops were able to get what
> they wanted out of it. Also, it suited the fact that no-one really
> wanted to spend a lot of time before the event creating a preset
> schedule. It will be good to see the feedback.
>
> Kitchen, Fire & Bar were outstanding!
+1
> Also, It felt like a very chilled out event to me and that has got to be
> good! Good work everyone I really enjoyed working and hanging out with
> you all!
me too.