[HacktionLab] Proposed talks

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Mon Mar 18 12:28:17 UTC 2013

On 18/03/13 02:11, johnc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I clicked on "Saved revisions" at:
>
> https://pad.riseup.net/p/barncampworkshops2013.
>
> After entering the text below:
>
> There was nothing else that resembled a button saying save or submit
> that I could see, (using iceweasel 17.01)?
>
> Cheers,
> John

Its fine,

It autosaves your text when its modified using a ajax call and a js
timer. You can see the POSTs happen in the net panel in firebug ...

Cheers,

> Title: How to build your own telephone system
> Proposer: John Cahill
> Duration: 30 minutes
> Level of technical skill: none
> Nerd factor: Medium
> Required: Projector
> source software.
> * Until a few years ago a handful of companies controlled the
> telephone system in both the UK and the rest of the world.
> * Telephone calls went over a pair of copper wires from your home to
> an "exchange" where electronic circuits switched these calls depending
> on the phone number you required.
> * The numbers were issued and controlled by the same monopolies who
> owned the wires and the exchanges, with the blessing of governments.
> * The ability to make calls over the internet, (similar to skype), has
> thrown something of a spanner into the works.
> * It is now possible to build telephone systems entirely from free and
> open source software.
> * These systems are built to open standards so they can talk to each
> other. i.e we can federate them.
> * I will demonstrate such a system and give a summary of how it works.
>
> Title: A People's Bank
> Proposer: John Cahill
> Duration: 45 minutes
> Level of technical skill: none
> Nerd factor: Medium
> Required: Projector
> * The mission: To establish a people's bank based on the principles of
> community, co-operation and mutualism.
> * I'm planning to kick off a project in May, (in Oxford) , called
> oxcred (see: oxcred.org.uk).
> * It is inspired by the TEM project in Volos, Greece. I will show a
> short documentary about this project.
> * It will use the free and open source cyclos banking software, (see
> cyclos.org).
> * I will discuss how this system will work in practice and demonstrate
> the cyclos banking software.

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** Celebrating 40 years of doing the right thing: New Internationalist,
est. 1973**

*Amnesty Media Award winner 2012*

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK