[HacktionLab] seeking people for open video sprint...

mickfuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Tue Mar 19 12:36:19 UTC 2013

Hi there,
I'm looking for good people to invite to an 'open video course sprint'
to create learning resources on open video.
Let me know if you are interested, or can recommend someone who fits the
bill.
nice one
Mick
--//

Open Video Sprint London - *#ovforum* http://
<http://ovlondon.xmlab.org>ovlondon.xmlab.org <http://ovlondon.xmlab.org>
April 18-20, 2013, MS Stubnitz
Contact: openvideo at xmlab.org

The workshop / course sprint facilitated by Mick Fuzz from FLOSS Manuals
is part of the international Open Video series launched with the Open
Video Forum in 2012. The current version of the course, created at a
Berlin sprint last year, is part of the School of Open, a collaboration
between Creative Commons and P2P University.

*Course:*https://p2pu.org/en/groups/a-look-at-open-video/
*xm:lab report:*http://ovf.xmlab.org
*Blog:*https://imc.li/143ix

Our goal is to produce an introductory course for *open video*  in the
areas of end-user technologies (viewing, encoding, editing,  subtitling
etc) and developer tools (transcoding, web applications,  developing for
mobile devices).

This  course will be published as an OER (open educational resource). It
will  promoted specifically as part of the Mokolo project supporting
film and  developer networks in Africa, for example the recent Open
Video Sudan  event.
http://www.xmlab.org/events/workshops/openvideosudan/
As the course is openly licensed it will be available for widespread use.

*Location:*London MS Stubnitz ship- http://ms.stubnitz.com
<http://ms.stubnitz.com/>*/* <http://ms.stubnitz.com/>
*Date:*18-20th April 2013

We are looking for people swimming in the sea of free software / open
source tools, open video frameworks and creating innovative learning.
Desirable skills include one or more of the following:

* Knowledge of open video for end user technologies or software development
* Writing skills in the area of open educational resources
* Experience indelivering workshops
* Connections to relevant networks to disseminate our work

If  you are getting this email then we think this sounds like you.
Would  you be interested in attending? Please get back to us if you
think you  may be able to attend and we will inform you about the
process and  logistics of this course sprint.

*What's in it for You:*

* We'll cover accommodation, meals, and have a small budget to include
travel expenses (so lets us know if you need support asap, we'll see
what we can do)
* We can offer small contributor stipends, depending on how long you can
stay
* You get to be part of an ongoing effort to bring more people
(especially from newer netcultures) into free software / open source
debates around visual media via the creation of open educational
resources (courses will be translated)
* You will leave with a set of resources to deliver workshops on open
video and lots of new subject knowledge
* P2p education is perhaps the most significant change in the way
(higher) education is organized - let's make it work

*Background Info:*
A *course sprint*  is a way of rapidly creating and testing teaching
resources. It is  based on the work of Adam Hyde on Book Sprints and is
one of FLOSS  Manuals tools of rapid, collaborative content creation.
Course sprints are a  space for participants to learn from each other,
find synergies in our  knowledge, and in the process, create innovative
online learning  resources.
http://www.flossmanuals.org/service/booksprints

We will use the Book Type software to immediately print materials from
our online workspace at the end of the sprint.
http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/booktype/

*MS Stubniz*is a mobile location for performance, arts, music and other
odd stuff.
This  is the last month that the ship is moored in London, why not take
advantage of this opportunity to check it out before the boat sails.
http://ms.stubnitz.com/

*Associated Events:*
Sat  20th of April see Exploding Cinema event also taking place on MS
Stubniz - "a spray of DIY film, projection mapping, installation,
performance and video echo location". For more info and call for work :
film, performance  and music".
http://www.explodingcinema.org/

*Remote Collaboration:*
If  you are unable to attend but want to input to the process via
remote  collaboration or keep up to date of the outcomes please do:
* subscribe to the low-traffic Mokolo video list -
http://lists.transmission.cc/mailman/listinfo/mokolo-video
* follow the *#ovforum*hashtag and*@xmlabs_news*account

*Partners include:*
xm:lab (Jan Tretschok, Soenke Zehle)