[HacktionLab] Workshop proposal for BarnCamp: How static HTML saved my marriage

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 08:00:00 UTC 2013

On 21/03/2013 11:12, ekes wrote:
> On 21/03/13 12:01, Mike Harris wrote
>> Anyone have any thoughts?  Perhaps this is more of a HacktionLab workshop?
> Think it might be.
>
> Plus rather than ending up having useful content locked into markup, or
> your particular own re-rolled code - that was such a pain years back -
True.  Though what was the real pain was the days before separating
style from content imho.

With a few simple lines of PHP (includes mainly) it's possible to pull
in all the common site elements such as the header, footer, menu and
sidebars without resorting to a whole CMS.

But yes, I get why CMSes came about.  I just feel it has to be said that
perhaps some of them have gone too far....
> static site generators keep them apart so stuff like (ruby) Jekyll,
> (php) Phrozn are probably better?
I've not used either, have you?

> Cheers, ekes

w: http://mbharris.co.uk