[HacktionLab] mutli-language subtitles for online video

m marmar at ucrony.net
Wed Mar 27 15:44:48 UTC 2013

tl;dr: Looking for ways to publish a video online with multi-language
subtitles that cannot be edited by random people and that is easy to
embed on various cms by people with no technical knowledge beyond
writing a blog.

Hi all,

I will soon publish a video which has been translated into several
languages and am currently looking at how to do that in a smart way.

Ideally, we would want to be able to easily embed the video with a drop
down to select languages, even better if there is a way to define the
default language for each embed.

We're hoping that the video will be embedded on a whole range of sites
and blogs, so easy embed codes would be a definite bonus.

For translating the titles, we have been using http://www.amara.org/en/

It's a great tool and fairly user friendly, anyone can make a login and
edit the titles. But there is a hitch: As far as I can tell, there is no
way to lock down subtitles and stop them from being changed further.
While it does have versioning, rolling back a new version seems to undo
the syncing and set the video back.

This is a serious issue for us, as the video has a good chance of
attracting racist trolls. A previous video on the same issue attracted a
lot of vile comments on youtube.

While for the translation stage, it's great that anyone can create a
login and edit videos, not being able to lock titles once they are
finished means we risk that people will purposefully mess up the
existing titles.

There seems to be a way to define an editing team on the paid version,
but they don't quote any pricing and my email hasn't gotten any response
yet.

Do any of you have ideas or suggestions for providing multi-language
subtitles for online videos?

Any tips and input will be muchly appreciated.

Thanks,
mara

p.s. If you want to find out more about the project, check the links
below or get in touch. We'll release the online version on 21. April and
are looking for websites and blogs who want to embed the film on that date.

--
COMING SOON:
Into the Fire - The Hidden Victims of Austerity in Greece

More: http://intothefire.org
Like: http://fb.me/intothefirefilm
Follow: http://t.co/Moax1smz