[HacktionLab] BarnCamp update. Workshop on how processors etc work?

kriptick kriptick at riseup.net
Fri May 10 13:46:55 UTC 2013

>We do also have an announce list John, which you can sign-up to via the
>web site https://hacktionlab.org

will do

>>  For workshops, I can't really keep up with software goings on these
>> days so by complete contrast I could offer one on how processors and
>> logic chips actually work right down at the component level, a history

>sounds great, although is it going to be too techyfor a lot of people?
DEFINITELY not the intention as I really do want this to be suitable for absolutely anyone at all who's curious to know just at a simple level what's going on inside the silicon in their iphones etc. This will therefore NOT be a full description of cutting edge chips as it'd be impossible to describe completely how such beasts work in much less than a few weeks? Remember, modern processor chips with their tens of millions of transistors are now so phenomenally complex that no single person in the world knows every part of them. So this workshop would be a simple description of how the most fundamental logic elements of such - (and, or & not gates) work & are made & then very briefly & with plenty left to the imagination, how such simple elements are continuously joined/cascaded together to make more & more complex components that make up the complete item.

>I will be interested, if I've time to come to it....
>
>please add your workshop at
>
>https://hacktionlab.org/hacktionlab/index.php/BarnCamp_2013_ideas_scratchpad
>
>or let one of us know if you don't have a wiki login and need us to do it.

Ok I'll have a stab but still seem to be wiki phobic ;-(