[HacktionLab] Is HacktionLab a 'safe space'?

Andy S andys at bristolwireless.net
Mon May 20 11:34:32 UTC 2013

On 20 May 2013 11:43, Charlie Harvey <charlie at newint.org> wrote:

> On 19/05/13 13:46, sam at bristolwireless.net wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have never found Hacktionlab to be anything but a convivial welcoming
> > place.
> >
> > But I am a white male who likes a drop of cider..
> >
> > I was wondering if it might be worth discussing something along these
> > lines:
> >
> > http://www.occupybristoluk.org/about/safe-space-policy/
> >
> > The 'dry camp' bit might need an edit :)
> >
> > But perhaps a 'dry' area might be an idea? Kids space & camping perhaps.
> >
> > Just a thought.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Sam

Not sure about HacktionLab, but I'd like to think that Barncamp is 'a safe
space', as safe as any working farm can be where there may be cider
involved! No, but seriously, I don't know what 'policies', if any, we do or
don't maintain for the Barncamp event, or how appropriate it is to compare
a place that
definitely requires one, such as a direct action protest camp in the middle
of a city full of potentially random unknown people,

as BC is a small 'private' event where everyone is 'known', so perhaps at
lower risk of antisocial/problem types of behaviour and people. That said,
there is no reason not to agree on a basic principal of what is/isn't
acceptable behaviour, and that all present are aware of this, *and agree to
'police' this policy*. I'd like to think that we shouldn't really need this
due to the small nature of the event
,
and that any issues that may arise can be dealt with by those present at
the time, but I can't speak for anyone else so we should discuss this
further.

The matter of making BC the sort of event that appeals to 'a wider
audience' and not just cider/beer/?tea? swilling white techie males, is a
much wider subject I don't think is specific to just this event..

*http://www.bristolwireless.net/* <http://www.bristolwireless.net/>*  | **0117
325 0067 |  **sip:info at bristolwireless.net*
*Bristol Wireless**
Windmill Hill City Farm