[HacktionLab] Is HacktionLab a 'safe space'?

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Mon May 20 10:43:44 UTC 2013

On 19/05/13 13:46, sam at bristolwireless.net wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have never found Hacktionlab to be anything but a convivial welcoming
> place.
>
> But I am a white male who likes a drop of cider..
>
> I was wondering if it might be worth discussing something along these
> lines:
>
> http://www.occupybristoluk.org/about/safe-space-policy/
>
> The 'dry camp' bit might need an edit :)
>
> But perhaps a 'dry' area might be an idea? Kids space & camping perhaps.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Cheers
>
> Sam

Hi,

Yeh it is a good idea. But speaking from being peripherally involved in
writing one, it can be a lot of work. Perhaps we can just use the Occupy
Bristol one?

We put the following in the OARC safe spaces statement on the booze
issue which might work ok:

"Be aware of the influence of alcohol and other drugs on yourself and
others, and think about limiting your use if you know that you become
violent or disrespectful under their influence."
http://theoarc.org.uk/safer.php

Cheers,

> Quoting Garcon du Monde <gdm at fifthhorseman.net>:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 09:26:30AM +0100, Mick Fuzz wrote:
>>> One thought I had was that there there wasn't much to do with creative
>>> production of media or design there and that the gender balance of
>>> workshop facilitators could be less male.
>>
>> i definitely agree with that! i went to a really interesting
>> presentation yesterday at opentech 2013 on 'practical diversity':
>>
>>  * http://blog.geekmanager.co.uk/2013/05/18/practical-diversity/
>>
>> (it's worth looking at the slides, especially the last one which is a
>> summary of the points for getting a broader range of people to
>> participate).
>>
>> solidarity,
>>
>>     --gdm
>>

>> --
>> GPG: 5607 E4BC C6B6 90F4 5EBC  B348 D01B 9D77 912F 963C

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** Celebrating 40 years of doing the right thing: New Internationalist,
est. 1973**

*Amnesty Media Award winner 2012*

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK