[HacktionLab] Another mapping question

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Sun Oct 27 20:39:58 UTC 2013

Hi,

Tilemill might work?

https://www.mapbox.com/tilemill/

Cheers,

On 27/10/13 18:23, m wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just finished touring with a film, and am looking at options for
> creating a tour report including locations and venues, route, photos,
> video and audio.
>
> Ideally it would be based around a map, including pics, video, audio and
> text. I haven't really worked with maps before, so I was wondering if
> people know of some neat tools?
>
> I might want a time dimension, one of the tools I was considering is
> Mozilla's Popcorn, though I'm not thrilled about learning javascript.
>
> The idea is very vague still, I just know I want to combine locations
> with different media types somehow. Just now I played around with google
> maps, to get some more ideas of what I could do, and I couldn't even
> figure out how to add videos though that's supposedly possible, and
> there's no info about adding audio at all. (Needless to say I'd prefer
> not to use google for the actual project).
>
> I'm thinking some combination of mapping and non linear storytelling
> would work, but yes, vague. On the upside, with an idea this vague I can
> adapt it to existing tools and structure the project around what's
> possible to do at this point. Any suggestions for tools I should be
> looking at?
>
> Cheers,
> Mara

Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://sn.im/gpgkey/

** Check out our new, improved online shop: http://tr.im/nishop **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK