[HacktionLab] Calculations from non-participation

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Mon Dec 22 09:54:10 UTC 2014

On 21/12/14 16:03, Yo wrote:
> Can anyone estimate how much money I avoided generating Google after
> stopping to use Google & UTube on my computer for 1 month?

Hi,

Like Graham said, it'll depend on how heavily you use the service. It
also depends on what you mean by generating money. I'd look at average
revenue per user per quarter and divide by 3 -- so 3ish dollars for
Google, not sure about youtube, but less (facebook is about a dollar per
user per month)

cf:http://www.forbes.com/sites/tristanlouis/2013/08/31/how-much-is-a-user-worth/

Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://sn.im/gpgkey/

** Check out our new, improved online shop: http://tr.im/nishop **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK