[HacktionLab] [Fwd: Hackers ethics for the world after collapse, essay]

Patrice Riemens patrice at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 9 08:06:09 UTC 2014

Subject: Re: [Noisysquare] Hackers ethics for the world after collapse, essay
From:    "Arjen Kamphuis" <arjen at gendo.ch>
Date:    Wed, January 8, 2014 18:41
To:      noisysquare at noisysquare.com

Hi Vesna (& everyone else),

I've had the (mis)fortune to have been following climate physics debates
since the very early nineties (when 'environmental' stuff was a big
policy topic in the Netherlands). Basically the most extreme scenario's
from those days have been overtaken by reality. Just as our global
surveillance situation that now resembles a bad 80's cyberpunk movie.

Even the uber-conservative Un Panel on Climate Change has stated in its
most recent report that the best (and only remaining) way to deal with
climate change is geo-engineering. A set of untested, unproven and quite
possible very dangerous ways of messing about with the temperature-gauge
of the only known habitable planet in the known universe. I mean, what
could possibly go wrong? This is also an implicit admission that all
attempts as slowing down the *growth* of CO2 emission globally has
utterly failed.

This means that very severe consequences of climate change can no longer
be avoided. Exactly how serious those consequences will be and on what
timeframe they will happen remains hard to predict. The lower end of the
spectrum will certainly kill more people this century than all wars in
human history. If things go really bad the consequence will simply kill
almost everyone human and most other complex species on the planet by
2045-ish. For Dutch people on this list: the current CO2-concentration
of 400 Parts Per Million in the atmosphere corresponds with a sea-level
26 meters than what we have now. That means the Netherlands will, at
some point in the near future, be a rather thin strip of land along the
western German border.

I fully realise that is is a bit of a bummer-message and taling about it
makes one a real party-pooper. It's nowhere near as fun as
42-new-things-you-can-do-with-a-rapspberry-Pi or even Jake's explanation
on killowatt beam weapons to spy on you laptop screen.

But of we are about to cook the planet than 'winning' the crypto- and
surveillance wars seems rather pointless.

Thus I feel, as Vesna does, this needs to be part of the stuff we talk
about if we are serious about taking on some of the most urgent problems
we have to face as a species. Because of this I invited Prof. Guy
McPherson to OHM2013 last summer. A recent recording from Guy
McPherson's talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDdhL3hLP-M

I'm not sure myself what to *do* with this information. Figuring that
out is *precisely* why we need to talk about it. But if nothing else
this is about science & technology, saving the planet,
policy-influencing and explaining a complex message to a
hardly-capable-and-mostly-unwilling-to-listen audience of our fellow
humans.

So really something we already have some significant experience with ;-)

Looking forward to reactions, ideas and suggestions for what we can do,
starting with broading the understanding of this stuff withing the
hackerscene itself.

Grtz,
Arjen

My talk about based on that at OHM2013:
http://gendo.nl/blog/arjen/futureshock-whats-it-for-understanding-systems-and-policies

--
Met vriendelijke groet/With kind regards,
Arjen Kamphuis

Main: +31 20 891 0330
mail: arjen at gendo.ch

gendo.ch	        (website)
gendo.nl/blog/arjen  	(Dutch blog)
gendo.ch/en/blog/arjen	(English blog)

about.me/arjenkamphuis (social media)

files.gendo.nl/keys/arjen at gendo.ch.asc (public key)
PGP fingerprint:
55FB B3B7 949D ABF5 F31B BA1D 237D 4C50 118A 0EC2