[HacktionLab] Fwd: FLOSS Manuals UK hub warm-up (change of time)

Mick Clearerchannel mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Thu Oct 16 17:21:14 UTC 2014

Hi all.

Apologies for cross posting. If you're in London on the 18th October,
please join us. Please note start time changed to 3pm. See below:

FLOSS Manuals UK hub warm-up

Date: 18th October 2014
Time: 3-6pm
Place: Furtherfield Commons

  FLOSS Manuals was launched by Adam Hyde in 2007 to remedy the deficit
of good free documentation about Free Software. Our strategy  since the
beginning has been to develop communities to produce high quality free
manuals about Free Software in their own language. Today, through the
use of Booksprints and federated publishing techniques we have more than
120 books in more  than 30 languages and more than 4,000 contributors.

  FLOSS Manuals  is more than a collection of manuals about doing things
with free and  open source software, it is also the community, The
contributors include  designers, readers, writers, illustrators, free
software fans, editors,  artists, software developers, activists, and
many others. Anyone can  contribute to a manual – to fix a spelling
mistake, add a more detailed  explanation, write a new chapter, or start
a whole new manual on a  topic.

  FLOSS Manuals now consists of 3 independent language communities
(French, English,  Finnish) supported by a Foundation based in Holland.
Our current focus is to develop strong partnerships with grassroots
educators to develop educational materials about free software. Come to
our UK hub warm-up meeting at Furtherfield to propose books/manuals
projects, to encourage others to propose book/manual projects and also
to invite publishers, or people interested in publishing.

  The afternoon is convened by Larisa Blazic, Mick Fuzz and Rachel
Baker. Mick is a long-term contributor at FLOSS Manuals and community
educator. Rachel has recently undertaken a detailed study of Booksprints
process. Larisa is investigating how FLOSS tools and practices to be
best embedded in post-graduate programmes.

  Contacts: Lara <lab_webATyahoo.com>; Mick - FM <mickATflossmanuals.net>