[HacktionLab] Smartphone privacy & domestic violence

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Sat Sep 20 20:25:55 UTC 2014

Hi UuOoBb

Your comment comes over as rude and disrespectful. If you disagree
with a comment that somebody makes on this list that fine. I think it
would be better if you did so in a way that tried to move the
discussion on. Using sweary and demeaning words in a critical email is
unlikely to do this, and if you disagree with somebody else's view, it
would be more constructive to say why you don't agree with it in calm
language.

Cheers

On 20/09/14 21:16, UuOoBb wrote:
> the best response that comes to mind to non-techie reading this
> is: it's a fucking stupid comment to make
>
> xxx m
>
> Big Brother is watching. Watch back! http://www.londoneyes.org On
> 20/09/14 20:31, bou wrote:
>> The best advice that comes to mind to a non-techie victim of this
>> kind is to ditch devices and get new ones. Or just ditch them.
>>
>> Yes, security  can be expensive. b.
>>

>> On 18/09/14 00:08, penguin wrote:
>>> Reflecting on my previous message (below, because top posting
>>> rules), would any people on this list be up for a project to
>>> develop some practical guidance for organisations (and their
>>> clients) that work with people who have experienced domestic
>>> violence and/or sexual abuse?
>>>
>>> In my head, such guidance would be a marriage of three things
>>> ... 1. A good tech understanding of the risks of this type of
>>> cyberstalking,, and how to mitigate those risks. 2. Being able
>>> to convey point 1 in, as far as is possible, a non-techie way.
>>> 3. Ensuring that both points 1 & 2 do not in any way come over
>>> as victim blaming.
>>>
>>> I can do a lot on points 2&3 (but would welcome others getting
>>> involved as well). I'm far less confident on my abilities on
>>> point 1 - which is a requirement to developing point 2.
>>>
>>> Anybody interested in such a project?
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>> http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/15/346149979/smartphones-are-used-to-stalk-control-domestic-abuse-victims

Extracts ...