[HacktionLab] Smartphone privacy & domestic violence

Jim McTwanky mctwanky at riseup.net
Sun Sep 21 10:41:29 UTC 2014

Smartphones are a problem for people being stalked. To be safest it
would be worth going back to the old school Nokia jobbie. Then you know
that you're giving your location away to the state but not to any
spyware install on your device. Doing a factory reset may do the trick
or better still stick on a different ROM......but this may be beyond
most people.

If someone wants to avoid being stalked but wants to continue using
Facebook to be in contact with those closest to them then (to begin
with) a new profile with a convincing different name and
personality/behaviour is in order. Never use the Facebook app (but you
won't be as you'll be using a dumb phone, right?). As we've probably all
observed the Facebook app shows your location in chat. Whoever is being
stalked needs to change their passwords regularly as they may have been
exposed via key-loggers installed on their devices. Where ever 2-factor
authentication can be implemented, use it! Turn on the security features
of Facebook so you can see what locations and what devices have been
logging into your account. So, any dodgy logins can be observed.

Any computer in a shelter should be using a VPN. This should route all
traffic through an external server so that you'll appear to be coming
from there rather than your address. Clicking links and opening
attachments that have been sent to them from untrusted sources need to
be avoided.

There's loads of other stuff you'll need to be aware of but for a common
garden stalker, doing the basics should be enough.