[HacktionLab] computer re-use project with charity shops

mark mark at aktivix.org
Fri Dec 18 23:17:36 UTC 2015

Hey hacktionlaboradores,

Is anyone interested in some paid work installing linux on laptops?

I was talking about my embryonic laptop re-use and support biz with
someone who's about to set up a UK-wide computer refurbishment & resale
project for a well-known charity which has lots of shops.

Apparently, they get lots of laptops etc. donated and aren't sure how to
make the most of them. They're thinking about setting up a centralised
depot/factory somewhere in the UK where all the kit can be sent, sorted,
refurbed, then returned to local shops or into a waste stream if not
re-salable.

It seems obvious that some of the nicer donations could be fixed up and
re-sold without being hauled around the road network, with potential
benefits of less CO2 emissions, giving a boost to local tech re-use/
repair initiatives and other local community benefits e.g. providing
affordable computers for those who might have none, or be at risk of
getting into debt / ripped off.

So I'm looking to make a list of people/projects who would be prepared
to take on some of this kind of work where you live. If you're
interested, please reply off-list with the following details:

- how to contact you (aliases are fine at this stage)
- which town/city are you in, or closest to
- how many hours per week would you want to work
- how much you'd expect to be paid
- whether you have a link with an existing re-use/repair project
- do you have any other relevant skills (PAT testing, knowledge of WEEE
directives, after-sales support, adult education...)
- anything else you want to say about the idea

I'm hoping to have a discussion in the new year with the charity about
what our capacity is and how we could potentially collaborate. So it's
early days but let me know if you want in.

Cheers,
Mark