[HacktionLab] Surveillance conference and hackathon in Cardiff, 18-19 June

Arne arne at zeromail.org
Sun Jun 7 10:33:55 UTC 2015

Hi Mick and all,

it would be great to get information about the conference to Barncamp
participants and maybe mention it on the Barncamp site. The main
conference page is this: http://www.dcssproject.net/conference/

Sessions that could be particularly interesting for Barncamp
participants are
- Information Security for Journalists and Activists, 18 June, 11:30-1
- Creating Usable and Secure Software, 18 June, 2-3:30
- Technology for Secure Communication and Counter-surveillance:
Lightning Talks, 18 June, 4-5:30
But there are also lots of other sessions on issues like digital rights
activism, etc. And there'll be spaces for informal exchange as part of
the hackathon.

If people are coming for a specific session, they don't have to register
and pay the fee. But if they stay longer, we'd ask them to pay the
(reduced) fee because we need the money to pay for lunches, coffee
breaks, etc.

As for promoting Barncamp at the conference, we can definitely mention
it at the above sessions and point people to the website. If you have a
flyer, we can display and distribute it.

Especially those working on tech projects would probably like to go, and
we'll inform them beforehand. So far one guy (Meskio from LEAP) has told
me he's planning to go to Barncamp after the conference and has changed
his flight back to Spain for that reason.

Best,
Arne