[HacktionLab] Facilitation - was Panel debate at BarnCamp

Mick Clearerchannel mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Sun May 10 08:34:24 UTC 2015

Hi Clara,

That's a great idea! I was thinking the same kind of thing but didn't
want to say anything negative, but your alternative is most valid.

I wanted to ask if there are people on this list who would be up for
forming a small facilitation group to help with plenaries, discussions etc.

I we had asked Seeds for Change if they were up for doing it this year
but they politely declined. Computer enthusiasts are probably not their
priority for unpaid work :)

This is something that I've done some of in the past but I wanted to
really take a back seat this year and give more workshops instead. I'm
up for chipping in and helping however.

Also, If you know people in your networks who have these skills why not
reach out to them to come along as they would be most welcome.

So if you up for doing some facilitation please let me know on or off
list, nice one!

nice one
Mick

On 09/05/15 21:13, Mike Harris wrote:
> I hear you clara, that makes a lot of sense.  I was proposing it only really on the basis that it
would be properly organised and if anyone was up for it.  you've
definitely brought me down to ground a bit there - must've spent a
little too long doing events with People & Plant I think....:P

> like this fishbowl idea.....
>
> El 09/05/2015 a les 16:45, clara ha escrit:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think in general a panel discussion only makes sense (1) if there
> > are people on stage that have interesting insights/ideas for others to
> > listen to, and (2) if they have a topic that they can actually discuss
> > with each other about, and (3) a good moderator who keeps them inline.
> >
> > Otherwise the danger is high that it's just unconnected statements,
> > followed by an Q&A in which half of the audience is getting bored,
> > while the others just wait to get the word to give long statements.
> > (At least that's my rather cynical view on most panel discussions.)
> >
> > I don't quite think that such a setup with experts on stage, and an
> > audience passively listening fits the concept of barn camp.
> >
> > Having said that....
> >
> > How about an Open Fishbowl conversation?
> >
> > On a topic that we decide together at the beginning of BarnCamp, based
> > on the issues that are relevant to the people that are there?
> >
> > greetings
> > clara

> --
>
> Mike Harris