[HacktionLab] Modern social (networking) problems

Charles Céleste Hutchins celesteh at gmail.com
Mon May 11 00:27:04 UTC 2015

I like the disapora suggestion, but hashtags do not necessarily propagate
out to the entire network. The only way to be sure everyone sees the
hashtag is if everyone follows each other or are all on the same pod. It
could be worthwhile to have a hacktion lab pod for this reason - and for
hashtag-based discussion in general.

Or, alternately, a hactionlab account could be set up on some pod some
place, everyone who wants to come could follow that account, who would then
have to follow back and re-share anything that came through with the tag. I
think it might be less work to just set up a pod.

On 10 May 2015 at 13:17, Paula Graham Gazzard <paula at fossbox.org.uk> wrote:

>  Hashtag on Diaspora? Be nice to have a reason to use it ;)
>
> Paula Graham Gazzard
> Director | Fossbox
> Direct line: 0203 778 0011
> Mobile: +44 (0)7768362795
> Email: paula at fossbox.org.uk
> Web: www.fossbox.org.uk
> G+: pmgazz at gmail.com
> Twitter: @pmgazzx
> Secure SIP: pmgazz at ostel.co
> ------------------------------
>
>  On 09/05/15 21:45, Mike Harris wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> An enquiry via the BarnCamp mailbox from people wishing to come this
> year made me realise the potential barriers now created by the
> mainstream network services.
>
> Someone asked about car-sharing and did we have a Facebook to help
> organise this.  We don't have one but my initial answer of "well join a
> mailing list of people you don't know, send a single email and perhaps
> watch the tumble weed tumble by".  So has anyone got any non-Facebook
> ways we can have a little group that'll be interactive enough to solve
> this social issue?
>
> (no Crabgrass, no, please)
>
> Also I was thinking about people getting to site, and was asked about if
> anyone would be meeting people down in Redbook village.  It's not a bad
> idea to have some 'guides' down there people, although most people have
> always found it in the past (of course if anyone wishes to volunteer
> that'd be great).  I mentioned that we'd have a phone number, but
> obviously some for of snapchat or twitter equivalent would be good.
> What could we recommend and who's using it anyway?

cheers,
Les

--
Charles Céleste Hutchins