[HacktionLab] HHVM vs PHP-FPM (was Re: Server efficiency slides)

Marcus Valentine marcus at marcusv.org
Sun Nov 15 12:17:59 UTC 2015

Following up on Daniel's and Ben's thought-provoking talk at Barncamp
on this Summer, I've been experimenting with a server build intended
to serve PHP stuff* (specifically wordpress) more effectively.

My build is

Debian GNU/Linux 8.2 (jessie)
nginx version: nginx/1.6.2
HipHop VM 3.10.1 (rel)
MariaDB Server version: 10.0.22-MariaDB-0+deb8u1 (Debian)

This build plays nicely with current wordpress (4.3.1).

The test VM has 4GB of RAM and uses 2 CPU (from a total of 6) from a
AMD Phenom II X4 20 Processor

Running the apache stress test on a minimal wordpress front page

 ab -c 50 -n 1000 http://mytestsite.local

I get

For comparison, on my production server, (16 GB RAM, AMD Phenom II X6
1055T Processor), running a conventional LAMP stack. I get

So far so good. Moving onto other php stuff, phpmyadmin works fine.

Unfortunately Roundcubemail doesn't work:

https://github.com/facebook/hhvm/issues/5185

Nor does Owncloud

https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/10837

It seems roundcube and owncloud _will_ play nicely with php-fpm. So my
options include running php-fpm in parallel with HHVM, or abandoning
HHVM and just going with php-fpm.

Thoughts?

Safe

Marcus